All you need to know about Spray Tanning
What is Spray Tanning? Why does it work?
Spray tanning involves applying an active ingredient, dihydroxyacetone, or DHA, to your skin using a specialis low pressure spraying machine.
DHA is a colourless sugar. It interacts with the proteins and amino acids in the outer layer of your skin to produce a golden brown colour (it’s similar process to when sliced apples go brown when exposed to air).
What you should know about the instant cosmetic bronzers that wash away after your first shower. It’s not the concentration of cosmetic bronzers that make the individual solutions darker from one another, it’s the combination of bronzer colours that create varying results.
You will be sprayed with a lightly coloured solution of DHA, the DHA starts to activate immediately, 60% of this process is complete after the first hours yet the actual tan will continue to develop over the next 24 hours and all the cosmetic colour will wash off when showering. Your therapist will tell you how long to wait until you can bathe or shower.
What makes MINE Products so great?
Therapists and specialists have tested and used our products over the past 10 years. As well as active DHA, our retail products are enriched with aloe-vera, and other natural top quality ingredients to actively moisturise and nourish your skin. Our tanning solutions even have a fantastic fragrance and you can feel like you are actually soaking up the rays, drinking a poolside cocktail.
Is it safe?
YES. It is MUCH safer than exposing your skin to the sun’s rays, but you still get that great tanned look. DHA has been approved by the FDA for use in the personal care industry for over 30 years. No adverse affects have been reported other than minor skin irritations on allergic people. Allergic reactions are extremely rare and if you have experienced allergic reactions to self-tanning or other beauty products please arrange a skin patch test first with your therapist.
How long does my sunless tan last?
Your tan will last approximately 5-10 days depending on your daily skincare regime and lifestyle. A spray tan fades just like a tan from the sun. As your skin sheds dead cells, your tan will fade. So the key is to moisturise with Mine extending moisturiser daily, this perfect gradual tan DHA rich moisturiser will help maximise the life of your tan.
What do I need to Prepare for my Tanning Session?
To get the best results from your Mine tan, you need to remove your dead skin cells by exfoliating 24 hours prior to your treatment. This means the DHA solution can get straight to work on new skin cells, and give you a longer lasting tan. Make-up and deoderant can also prohibit absorption and should be removed beofre tanning.
Do not use moisturisers at least 24 hours prior to your treatment as they act as a barrier to the spray tan solution and can casue disastrous effects.
Why is a Spray Tan by a Therapist different than a misting booth or hands-on application tan?
Everywhere you look, there are promises of a smooth flawless professional tan, but only one treatment can truly deliver: the spray tan by a therapist. Why?
Misting booths mean you have to contort your body within the booth to cover each area. One wrong twist by you can spell a double spraying (extra colour) or no spray (no colour). Using a technician that guides you thru the process allows for custom control each and every time.
Hand application is often limited, if it’s you that’s doing the application, not only will you probably get the application where you want it, especially on your back, or to see where you’ve already applied it. These products are great for the chest, arms or legs but not perfect for the entire body.
Spray tanning with a quality product, and done by a trained therapist, give you a precision tan, applied smoothly and equally. Special care can be given to problem areas such as knees, elbows, hair and blemishes, giving you a tan to be proud of.
What will happen during my treatment?
On your very first tanning session, your therapist will ask you a number of questions and then fill in a consultation card for you.
Then your therapist will give you a few minutes to get undressed (or change into your underwear) and remove jewellery.
Next a blending cream will be applied to your hands and tops of your feet and any dry areas to prevent them from tanning too much.
The treatment will take about 10 minutes. For your spraying, you will be invited to stand in a tanning cubicle, to ensure the spray goes on your skin, not into the air.
Hint: to avoid issues it is important to pre treat the skin with a preparation treatment spray prior to the spray tan treatment to neutralise your skin. Lowering the skins pH balance results in deeper darker DHA results and combats the dreaded orange look.
Your Mine therapist is experienced and qualified, and will explain what is happening at each stage.
During your treatment you will see a dark chocolate colour on your skin. This is a guide for your therapist to see whilst spraying. It will develop over the next few hours into a gorgeous spray tan. This colour that you see now used as a guide will wash off during your initial shower.
You should know that DHA results will continue to develop well into the 18-24 hour period after the treatment, the longer you leave the treatment on the skin the deeper the tan will develop, a light colour will only be achieved after showering in the first hour. Please note that everyone’s skin is also very different and the personal pH balance will effect their colour results.
Do I have to get Naked?
NO. It’s entirely up to you. If you don’t want to get naked, we suggest you wear old dark underwear or a bikini that you don’t mind staining. Many therapist keep disposable underwear for you to use.
How dark will I get?
There are different strengths of DHA and your therapist will advise you of the best one for your skin tone, bearing in mind how dark you want to go.
The darker you tan naturally, the darker you will tan with a spray tan.
Some people like to keep a year-round light golden tan, but if you want a really deep, dark and longer-lasting tan, we suggest you get our Double Exposure treatment. Simply book a second tanning appointment for within 48 hours of your first appointment.
What should I wear for after my treatment?
Wear losse fitting dark coloured clothing and thongs as some of the bronzer can rub off on your clothing and shoes can cause your feet to perspire, affecting the final results. Natural fibres like 100% cotton T-shirts are the best. Any colour that does rub off on your clothes can usually be washed out during a normal wash cycle. Bear in mind that any materials have the potential to stain.
What about streaking and/or turning orange?
Spray tanning has come a long way since the early days, better solutions, machines, training and spray tan technology virtually eliminates these issues. Your trained Mine therapist is experienced in producing non-streaky tans and will ensure that the right solutions is chosen for your colouring. We have a selections of beautiful Mine colours to choose from for a natural sun-kissed look and long-lasting results.
Who should not get a spray tan?
Women who are in their first trimester of pregnancy,anyone who is allergic to self-tan or who has breathing difficulties. If in doubt or if you have further question, pleasespeak to your therapist and consult your local doctor before your appointment.
BEFORE AND AFTER CHECKLIST
Before you Tan
- Exfoliate and moisturise 24 hours before your treatment (not the day of your tan) paying particular attention to elbows, knees, ankles and problem dry areas.
- Paint nails and toenails, especially if artificial.
- Wax/shave at least 48 hours to treatment. This allows the pores time to close. Dotting in pores may appear if not adhered to.
- The entire 24 hours before your treatment avoid using bar soaps, high ph shower products or in shower moisturisers.
- Please don’t apply moisturiser, perfume, deoderant or make-up on the day of your treatment.
- Ask your therapist for a pre treatment spray and blending cream.
After your tan
- Wear dark loose clothing, tight clothing or underwear may cause marks
- Wear thongs or loose fitting shoes
- Shower lightly for 60sec ONLY after the first hour for a light to medium tan
- Use plain water, don’t use shower gels, scrubs, shampoos or loofer during the first 24 hrs after your treatment
- Pat dry and use mine products after your first shower to prolong the life of your tan and to stay looking gorgeous
- Avoid sweating, don’t exercise or swim for the first 24 hours after your treatment
- Try not to touch your skin during development time. After your tan, your therapist will chow you that your hands are clear of tanning solution. Any marks on your hands, therefore, are due to your hands touching the developing tan. You need to be aware that once this has developed, nothing will remove it form your palms.
Top tip: wear loose socks over your hands in bed if you decide to sleep in your tan before your first shower
- Moisturise, moisturise and moisturise some more. Morning and night. Use Mine extend so your tan is continually being topped up and its life extended. Remember to wash your palms after.
- After day 5, exfoliate with a soft body polish on a daily basis, to help your skin absorb even more moisturiser and keep it looking and feeling gorgeous.
- Long exposure to water and sweating from exercise will fade your spray tan. Your outer cells will start to soak up water which dilutes the effect of the tan. The longer you are in water the lighter your tan will get.